Ashtray Navigations and Louises Guidelines



The car stereo is blasting out a dense multilayered affair… dirt mummies and bloody amps... the rackety feedback spectres making the car feel like its falling apart, my wheels are making this wheezy crunching sound, or is that the stereo dealing out more mad distortion? ... My engine sounding like a decaying lung on emulsified vapours, as the road ahead turns to a slush puppy of potential doom, … The weather's turning the motorway into a slow lane crawl… hyper sped flakes of snow curve the windscreen … I’m drifting back to the night's gig as I steer out of another skid...





Louises Guidelines were fun… I guess you would describe them as post rock with added extras, Owen looked rather Cthulhu like as the chords threw out plenty of raw fuzz fucked hues… James King of Anta fame supplying the drum action and cymbal sheen … later, everything waivering into a hypo spurting goo of modulation, loops and vocal vortex … left me really wanting more from those banana bubble guitar strings that signed the set off …

Suddenly, the car in front does a vicious curve into the centre of the road, seemingly in the process of overtaking nothing … then I'm thrown back into reality again, as a land rover overtakes… churns the virgin snow up in his wake like a plough, I hold onto the wheel for grim life as sludge fills my windscreen... the kick of the hard shoulder juddering the suspension.... I feel like Schumacher at 30mph, aligning myself into the furrows in front of me...

The stereo continues to pour eerie vibes through the upholstery as I ease back into the big steady and hark back to Ashtray Nav's playground carousel of cuteness a few hours before...





Todd's guitar was certainly syncopating the cool angles... creating fairy lit castles around Mel's mouse trap beats... those glass ratios and snappy fire crackers... wispy reed fallouts, everything overlapping in box locked hypno-ray rotation - a trippy haemorrhage inched along with pure precision...... Invocations curling your ears in folding envelopes of infinite colour... re-wiring mind juice of the highest order... only seen them once before and definitely will be needing more in the future...

totally worth it ...as the car slips across the last roundabout and heads sans collision towards home.

Comments